The Super League of Malawi (SULOM) has announced its decision to replay the abandoned TNM Super League match between Mighty Wanderers and Ekhaya FC, following a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances that led to the premature termination of the fixture on November 5, 2025, at Kamuzu Stadium in Blantyre.
The highly anticipated match, which was called off before reaching completion, will now be replayed on December 7, 2025, at the same venue, with SULOM citing the failure of the original fixture to reach the regulatory maturity stage of 75 minutes of play as the primary reason for ordering a replay.
MORE NEWS FROM WAMPIRA
- Karonga United anticipates tough challenge in Karonga Derby against “winless” Songwe
- Hammers claim Mzuzu derby bragging rights, escape relegation zone
- Ambitious Ekhaya keep heads high despite a poor start to the season
- Saint Louis High School Dedza District Football League first round ends this weekend
- Zambia eliminated from CHAN with game to spare
Sources privy to the matter revealed to Wa Mpira that the decision was made last week after meeting with stakeholders but the league governing body was divided on the exact date when the game would be played.
Others SULOM officials were said to be “bowing down to external pressures to schedule the game to the last day of the league” but some officials said such conduct would lead to match fixing due to the relation that exists between the two teams.
“Comprehensive Investigation Reveals Multiple Failures”
In a detailed statement released to the public and all football stakeholders, SULOM revealed that its investigation uncovered several deficiencies across multiple parties involved in the organization and execution of the match. The league body emphasized that the abandonment did not result from a single incident but rather from a combination of failures by various stakeholders to fulfill their respective responsibilities and obligations.
“After a thorough investigation of the various factual elements and in light of the applicable regulations, SULOM has decided that the match should be replayed,” the statement read in part,
The decision reflects SULOM’s commitment to maintaining the integrity of the competition while ensuring that matches are conducted in accordance with established safety protocols and regulatory frameworks.
“Both Clubs Face Disciplinary Measures”
In what represents a significant sanction for both teams, SULOM has issued stern warnings to Mighty Wanderers and Ekhaya FC, accompanied by suspended fines of MK5 million each. The penalties stem from both clubs’ failure to comply with their obligations related to order and security, as well as their responsibilities in match preparation and participation.
The suspended fines mean that if either club commits similar infractions during a specified period, the financial penalty will be automatically enforced,m.
For Mighty Wanderers, one of Malawi’s most storied football clubs with a passionate fanbase, the sanctions serve as a reminder of the club’s responsibility to maintain order and ensure that matches proceed smoothly. Similarly, Ekhaya FC faces scrutiny over its role in the events that led to the abandonment.
“Match Officials Under Investigation”
SULOM has taken the unprecedented step of recommending disciplinary action against the match officials who oversaw the fixture. The league body has formally referred the matter to the FAM (Football Association of Malawi) Referees Committee, citing the officials’ failure to comply with the FIFA Return to Football International Match Protocol as read in conjunction with SULOM rules and regulations.
The FIFA Return to Football protocols were established globally to ensure the safe resumption of football activities following disruptions, with specific guidelines covering match management, safety procedures, and operational standards. SULOM’s decision to invoke these protocols suggests that the match officials may have failed to follow critical safety or procedural guidelines during the fixture.
The recommendation for disciplinary action takes effect immediately, and the FAM Referees Committee will now conduct its own review to determine appropriate sanctions for the officials involved. This could potentially include suspensions, retraining requirements, or other measures deemed necessary to prevent similar incidents in the future.
@SULOM Officials Also Held Accountable”
In a move that demonstrates the league’s willingness to hold its own personnel accountable, SULOM has imposed immediate four-match suspensions on two of its key officials: the responsible security officer and the General Match Coordinator assigned to the fixture.
Both officials have been found to have committed infringements and demonstrated a lack of compliance with return to football match protocols. The suspensions, which take effect immediately, mean that neither official will be involved in match-day operations for the next four TNM Super League fixtures.
The decision to sanction its own staff represents a significant admission by SULOM that internal failures contributed to the abandonment of the match. The security officer would have been responsible for coordinating security arrangements and ensuring adequate measures were in place to maintain order, while the General Match Coordinator oversees the overall organization and execution of match-day operations.
The rescheduled fixture will take place on December 7, 2025, at Kamuzu Stadium, giving all parties involved just over a month to address the deficiencies identified in SULOM’s investigation and ensure that proper protocols are followed.
The replay adds to an already congested fixture schedule in the TNM Super League, but SULOM’s decision to order a complete replay rather than awarding the match to one side or the other reflects a commitment to sporting fairness and ensuring that results are determined on the pitch rather than through administrative decisions.
Discover more from Wa Mpira
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

