HomeFootballJohn Banda to retire after 2025 AFCON

John Banda to retire after 2025 AFCON

- Advertisement -

Flames Captain, John CJ Banda has announced that he is considering hanging up his boots at international level after the 2025 African Cup of Nations.

The former Blue Eagles midfielder has been a reliable pillar for the National Team since making his debut in 2011 in the Cecafa Cup at Benjamin Mkapa Stadium.

MORE NEWS FROM WAMPIRA

Banda made the announcement on Wednesday during the pre-match press conference saying it’s now time to give a chance to the young lads who are developing into the game of football.

- Advertisement -

“I’m considering retiring after AFCON 2025. This will be my last AFCON campaign. I have been here for so long. The decision is to give a chance to the young players,” he said.

John Banda’s commitment, leadership skills and hardworking spirit separate him from the rest and he has been called up for the National Team duties by every coach since he stepped into the National colours.

The 31-year-old midfielder has been praised by Coach Patrick Mabedi for his discipline saying he is an example to the young players and they need to borrow a leaf from him.

- Advertisement -

Banda said the Flames have the chance to qualify for the AFCON 2025 but they will need to start off the campaign on a high note.

“If we start well, we will not regret it. Though we didn’t have enough time but everyone is coming from his club where he was training,” he added.

CJ, a Policeman by profession, has bagged 88 caps for the National Team, playing in different competitions, Cecafa, Cosafa, AFCON Qualifiers, World Cup Qualifiers.

- Advertisement -

Banda made his debut for National Team under the tutelage of Coach Kinnah Phiri and his fellow players were Chiukepo Msowoya, Charles Swin, Ishmael Thindwa, Gastin Simkonda, Jimmy ZakaZaka, Esau Kanyenda, Hellings Mwakasungula, Henry Kabitchi, Philip Masiye, Nafe Masasa, Chimango Kayira, Ndaziona Chatsalira among others.

He was among the players who qualified for the 2021 AFCON and reached the Round 16 where they lost to Morocco.
#WaMpira #AllAboutSports


Discover more from Wa Mpira

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

- Advertisement -
Antony Isaiah Jnr
Antony Isaiah Jnrhttps://wampiramw.com/
Antony Isaiah Jnr is an award-winning digital journalist who mostly covers stories from Super League teams and regional associations. He is one of the most hardworking members of Wa Mpira Online Publication, covering transfer stories, match reports, opinions. He previously worked as a news editor and reporter at The Malawi Guardian and he is currently working as an editor and a reporter at Wa Mpira with 6 years of experience in online news reporting.
Recent Posts
Related News