Super League of Malawi, Sulom in conjunction with the National Referees Association of Malawi has changed the Derby Referees after several concerns erupted following Sulom’s announcement that Mayamiko Kanjere would handle the game.
Super League of Malawi, Sulom on Wednesday released the set of referees to handle the games in week 5 of the season, and FIFA Referee, Mayamiko Kanjere was tasked to handle the Blantyre Derby with Pondamali Tembo and Yohane Chiutika being his assistants while Cedric Mwachumu and Moffat Champiti were tasked with the fourth official and match assessor roles respectively.
However, Kanjere who was based in Blantyre, relocated his base to the Central Region thereby joining the Referees Association of the region. The Central Region Referees Association claimed that the Southern Region courted its member without their consent.
Barely hours after Mighty Mukuru Wanderers were reported to be against Mayamiko Kanjere’s team to handle the derby, their rivals, FCB Nyasa Big Bullets officially penned a letter to Sulom requesting them to change the match officials, especially Kanjere and Chiutika, as reported by Wa Mpira earlier today
The People’s Team in a letter dated May 1, 2024, signed by the Club’s Chief Administrative Officer, wants Sulom to “immediately” replace Kanjere and Chiutika for performing “poorly” during their game against Dedza Dynamos.
“As a Club, we would like to bring your attention to that during the league’s opening match on 6 April 2024 in Dedza where FCB Nyasa Big Bullets played against Dedza Dynamos Football Club, Messrs Mayamiko Kanjere and Yohane Chiutika who were the referee and 1st Assistant Referee respectively, performed poorly to the dismay of our team officials and supporters.
“The decision of the two match officials were generally inconsistent and biased against Bullets.
“In view of the foregoing, FCB Nyasa Big Bullets does not believe that it is a rational decision to assign the same officials to manage a high-profile game between Bullets and Wanderers,” said Chigoga.
Responding to the letter, Sulom has meanwhile substituted Mayamiko Kanjere and Yohane Chiutika with Easter Zimba and Clement Kanduku taking over.
MORE NEWS FROM WAMPIRA
- Junior Flames show why the team should be kept intact: Malawi thump Kenya to win 4Nation Tourney
- Gilbert Chirwa: When will Peter Banda start playing for Bullets
- Khuda Muyaba: I still have five years of playing games outside Malawi
- Everyword of Kalisto Pasuwa’s pre-Liberia presser
- Kamwendo Brings Right Formula at Villa, Mitundu Return to Winning Ways
The Blantyre Derby comes at a time when the two teams are tied up on 8 points from their opening four games, winning two and drawing two games each.
Kanjere so far has handled five Derby games but both sides feel uncomfortable with him taking charge of the forthcoming fixture. Both Bullets and Wanderers are trailing Silver Strikers who have scooped 10 points from the same number of games.
National Referees Association of Malawi General Secretary, Chris Kalichero by the time we contacted him, he said they received the letter from Bullets but the decision was yet to be made.
“The allocation committee is still discussing this, we will release a statement depending on the outcome of the discussions of the committee,” he tells Wa Mpira.
Sulom General Secretary, Williams Banda was not available for his comment on the matter.
Discover more from Wa Mpira
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

