HomeNetballMponda say not under pressure, happy with progress at Bullets

Mponda say not under pressure, happy with progress at Bullets

Peter Mponda says he is being impressed with the progress that he has made at Big Bullets despite recent criticism from the supporters.

- Advertisement -


FCB Nyasa Big Bullets Head Coach Peter Mponda has broken his silence following the team’s dramatic 3-3 draw against Karonga United on Sunday at Kamuzu Stadium in the TNM Super League.


Bullets appeared set to finish the first round at the top of the table after taking a commanding 3-1 lead against Karonga in the 74th minute. However, the visitors mounted an unlikely comeback to salvage a point from what seemed an impossible position.

MORE NEWS FROM WAMPIRA


The draw left Bullets finishing second with 34 points, just one point behind leaders Mighty Wanderers, who also played to a goalless draw against Civil Service United—their third consecutive stalemate.

- Advertisement -


While Bullets’ 34-point tally represents an 11-point improvement from last season’s first-round total of 23 points, supporters have directed criticism at their coach. Fans accused Mponda of making tactical decisions that contributed to the team squandering their lead.


The frustration boiled over after Sunday’s match, with supporters blocking players from boarding the team bus. Some unruly individuals even stoned the bus and called for the coach’s dismissal.

Mponda defends his record

Speaking on Tuesday during a First Capital Bank ceremony rewarding players and technical staff for their Airtel Top 8 Cup success, Mponda dismissed suggestions he was under pressure and expressed satisfaction with the club’s progress.

- Advertisement -
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/177RRiMLi6/?mibextid=wwXIfr


“I don’t know where the pressure is coming from,” Mponda told MBC Sports. “When I was with Silver Strikers last season, I finished the first round with 37 points.

“Here at Big Bullets, I have finished with 34 points. Yes, I have dropped three points, but there is consistency.”

The coach emphasized the significant improvement from the previous campaign: “The team finished the first round with 23 points last season. We have finished with 34 points this season—we have gained 11 points.

“Having said that, we have also lost many players. It’s a new team we are building here with new players.

- Advertisement -


“I’m very happy with the work we are doing here. I’m very happy with the players and the way they are performing, so I don’t think there is any pressure,” he added.


Chief Executive Officer Albert Chigoga expressed satisfaction with the team’s first-round performance in an interview with MBC Sports. In a statement released earlier this week, the club urged supporters to follow proper procedures when raising grievances.

Bullets supporters have particularly criticized Mponda’s substitution decisions and his player recruitment choices throughout the season.


Discover more from Wa Mpira

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

- Advertisement -
Antony Isaiah Jnr
Antony Isaiah Jnrhttps://wampiramw.com/
Antony Isaiah Jnr is an award-winning digital journalist who mostly covers stories from Super League teams and regional associations. He is one of the most hardworking members of Wa Mpira Online Publication, covering transfer stories, match reports, opinions. He previously worked as a news editor and reporter at The Malawi Guardian and he is currently working as an editor and a reporter at Wa Mpira with 6 years of experience in online news reporting.
Recent Posts
Related News

Leave a Reply