HomeFootballMponda admits Henderson was a 'panic signing' following departure

Mponda admits Henderson was a ‘panic signing’ following departure

- Advertisement -

FCB Nyasa Big Bullets head coach Peter Mponda has broken his silence on the departure of defender Chikumbutso Henderson, admitting the player’s recruitment was a mistake driven by desperation.

Bullets announced on Thursday that they had parted ways with Henderson, who spent just six months at the club after joining from Mzuzu City Hammers in January this year. The defender signed a two-year contract but failed to make a single competitive appearance, featuring only in preseason and ceremonial matches, including a friendly against Silver Strikers.

MORE NEWS FROM WAMPIRA

Wa Mpira reported in July that Henderson would be leaving during the mid-season transfer window, with the player being informed of the club’s decision several months ago. Henderson is now a free agent and available to join any team of his choice.

- Advertisement -

Speaking candidly about the situation, Mponda revealed that he quickly recognized the signing as an error and informed the club’s management within weeks of Henderson’s arrival.

“It was a panic signing,” Mponda told the club’s media team. “Three weeks after signing Chikumbutso, I went to management and told them it was a panic signing. At that time, we had lost our whole backline and we wanted numbers to start the preseason. It was a panic signing, and management accepted it.”

The admission highlights the pressure Bullets faced after losing multiple defenders, forcing them into hasty recruitment decisions that ultimately proved unsuccessful.

- Advertisement -

Bullets transfer window priorities

Mponda emphasized that the club’s current transfer strategy focuses on quality over quantity, particularly in defensive positions where they continue to seek reinforcements.

“In terms of going forward, we are okay and scoring goals. At the back, yes, we are shaky, but we are managing. We are still looking at the market to see who is available who can come and add quality to the team—not just bring players for the sake of bringing players,” he explained.

Despite Mponda’s concerns about defensive stability, Bullets’ statistics paint a picture of a well-balanced team. The People’s Team have scored an impressive 37 goals across all competitions this season—33 in the TNM Super League and four in the Airtel Top 8 Cup—while conceding just nine goals in 19 matches.

- Advertisement -

These numbers suggest that while there may be room for improvement in defense, the team’s overall structure remains solid.

Bullets have already strengthened their squad during the current transfer window, securing the services of Khumbo Banda from Dedza Dynamos and Bweke Munthali on a free transfer. Both players are expected to contribute to the club’s pursuit of silverware this season.


Discover more from Wa Mpira

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

- Advertisement -
Antony Isaiah Jnr
Antony Isaiah Jnrhttps://wampiramw.com/
Antony Isaiah Jnr is an award-winning digital journalist who mostly covers stories from Super League teams and regional associations. He is one of the most hardworking members of Wa Mpira Online Publication, covering transfer stories, match reports, opinions. He previously worked as a news editor and reporter at The Malawi Guardian and he is currently working as an editor and a reporter at Wa Mpira with 6 years of experience in online news reporting.
Recent Posts
Related News

Leave a Reply